Thursday, March 10, 2011

Does Believing in God Make You Delusional?

Well, apparently it does in Montana. A woman has cancer and the only procedure available to save her life, according to her physicians, is to have a hysterectomy. This woman has a strong desire to be able to have children someday and believes that "God will heal her." The District Court judge agreed with the physicians, who stated the patient is unable to make capable medical decisions because of her "religious delusions," and ordered her to undergo the surgery.
Wow, are we living in America? Who cares if this religious zealot wants to die of cancer, isn't that her right? And what if God does cure her, wouldn't that be something to see? I don't know, but in my life I know there has been some higher power involved and I am not making any assumptions about what HE can or cannot do. Thank goodness the Montana Supreme Court stepped in and halted the surgery pending appeals.
Everybody should be very afraid of the power of our judicial system and should make informed decisions when voting on who to put in that judge's seat. I think everyone should have the right to decide how they want to live their life, as long as it does not harm anyone else in the process. I am looking forward to see how this plays out in the Supreme Court.
Just a suggestion, but maybe instead of telling your doctor that "God will heal you," you might phrase it as "I am going to seek a second opinion, thank you."

1 comment:

  1. I'm really surprised by this... I mean you would think an adult should have the right, REGARDLESS of reason, to refuse any kind of treatment for any reason. This is scary.

    ReplyDelete