Monday, March 7, 2011

Stop Listening to the Gremlin

Gremlins are more than actors in an 80’s B movie, they live in my head. I have the best of intentions every day. I make a list of things I want to do the next day, and top on that list is exercise. Yep, summer is almost here and I just purchased a bikini. Can you believed it? A bikini. I haven’t been able to get into one and feel good about it since I was in high school. Well, after you have kids, you need help in some areas. Yes, wires do have a purpose and most definitely in bras. Unfortunately, most swimwear is for women who have either never had children or have paid for enhancement surgery. I do not fit in either category. The only suit I could find was a skimpy two piece, but it made everything look spectacular, so I bought it.
So there are a few areas that really need some toning up and nothing like the present to do so. Recently, I started to think of ways to quiet the nasty gremlin in my brain. It stops me from completing tasks, encourages me to be lazy and is never happy with the way I look. So, I decided the only way to quiet the gremlin is to do exactly what it didn’t want me to do; which brings me back to this morning. So when the alarm went off, the first thing I thought of was “NOOOO, I don’t want to get up!” Then I let out a huge sigh and pulled my feet off the bed. I began to get ready to exercise, much to the gremlin’s surprise. I turned on the television and started warming up.
Okay, so that was round one and I won; now for round two. I was about 15 minutes into my workout when the gremlin started up again, “oh, this sucks, we should stop!” Thankfully, I stopped listening and started counting “one and two and…” The gremlin was quiet.
We had made it to the end, the gremlin and I, and I couldn’t believe how amazing I felt! I was skipping around and I seem to have more energy and smiles than ever before. Every day  is a battle, but I am determined to wear that bikini!

No comments:

Post a Comment