Sunday, February 20, 2011

Inspired by Being Enough

I just finished reading “The Long Snapper” by Jeffrey Marx. It is an interesting tale of how Brian Kinchen came out of unwilling retirement to play for the NFL. He shares his struggles and his triumphs. It was a very good book. The line that stuck with me was at the end of the book, “If you aren’t enough without it, you’ll never be enough with it.”
Kinchen was referring to the Super Bowl ring. It struck me that this can be applied to many things in my life. Have you ever felt not good enough? That you didn't have enough money, enough clothes, enough anything? I have felt that way nearly all my life. From the men I dated to the money in my account, things just didn't add up. There was always a gap between what I had and what I needed. I always thought if only. If only I had a better job, if only ol' what's his name wasn't such a jerk, if only, if only, if only.
Problem is most of what I needed was myself. I needed to respect who I was enough to not put up with being put down. I needed to maintain a budget and live within my means. I needed more God in my life and less alcohol. If only, if only.....
But I refuse to look back and curse. My life is my life and there are no do-overs. I am the person I am today because of the problems I overcame. I am living for today and tomorrow; yesterday is there for me to learn from, not regret.
The great thing is I know I am enough and I have enough. It’s okay if I never get that million dollar book deal or that huge fancy house. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t. I still have my wonderful husband, our beautiful baby and God up above shining down on me. Enough is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment