Thursday, February 10, 2011

Inspired by Waste Not Want Not

Now that I cook a lot, I notice the need for various types of stock. It seems everything from soups to gravies get their flavoring from stock. Usually I would buy the bouillon cubes but I began to notice how salty they were. We don't cook with a lot of salt, so it really began to stand out.
So I decided to start making my own stock and found it super easy to do. I started out using the water left over from boiling chicken with one quartered onion, a couple cloves of garlic, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and pepper.
Today I experimented with my left-over turkey parts. I threw in a quartered onion,  some celery, some parsley, and bay leaf. I found a recipe that called for simmering for 4 hours. The parsley I threw in had been sitting in my freezer (an experiment gone bad) and I hated to throw it away. Today, I thought why not? So, into the pot it went. The turkey parts was everything, the skin, bones and any extra pieces of turkey left on them. I didn't throw anything away.
I grew up with the saying "waste not want not." It feels good to know I don't throw food away. It inspires me to think of new creations rather than throw leftovers away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment