Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Inspired by Recognition

I have struggled with my weight for the past 15 years. It seemed the extra 20 pounds I carried was there to stay. I knew what my problem was… I lacked consistency. I would start a diet on Sunday and by Wednesday I was “celebrating” my successes by eating whatever I wanted. I always would preface it with “but I have been doing so good!”
I left the workplace this year to stay at home and raise my babies. I thought to myself “no excuses now, I will have all the time in the world to exercise!”
Sure.
It doesn’t matter, if we want to find excuses for not exercising, we will find them! Even though I no longer had a job to blame, I did have a newborn baby. “I can’t exercise; I am taking care of the baby…all the time!” HA
I looked at myself in the mirror when Ian was about 6 weeks old and said, “everyone has the same 24 hours in the day, you have to plan or else you will never find the time!” I started making a list of things I wanted to get done. I found I had the most energy and time first thing in the morning. So instead of relaxing and enjoying the morning, I would attack the list. To my surprise things started getting done around the house, but I still wasn’t exercising consistently.
Then Ian turned 4 months old and finally was able to sit safely in the jogging stroller. First time I went out, I wondered why I had waited so long! The weather was cooler in the morning and I had more energy throughout the day. I wanted to create a schedule for Ian, so I made working out in the morning part of our routine.
Today as I was running down the paved trail near my house, I saw this couple walking towards me. I had seen them before; they were always out first thing in the morning. As I walked closer, they recognized me and my stroller (I am hard to miss with my bright green umbrella shading Ian from the sun) and smiled and waved a hearty “hello!” Like we had become friends or something. Hmmm. Had I become a member of some unofficial club that exercises every morning? Had I become one of THEM? I began to smile when I realized, I had become consistent. I am sure the couple had seen people come and go during their walks in the morning. But to see someone regularly is a real surprise. I smile and know, with or without 20 pounds, I am happy and healthy. But I am thinner than I have been in 15 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment