Sunday, September 26, 2010

Inspired by Those Who Are Living Their Dream

http://www.lightningridgecellars.com/

This weekend a group of friends and us decided to take a trip to the Sonoita and Elgin area for some wine tasting. My husband and I are huge wine fans, and the day was perfect. Between the different wineries we visited, I found my inspiration for the day.

We went to visit Lightning Ridge Cellars, which has only been open for about 10 months. I happened to speak to Ron (pictured above), who runs the winery with his wife Ann, and he shared their interesting story.

“About 8 years ago we were living in the Bay Area and Ann was feeling unfulfilled with her job.”

 They were hiking, and after hearing her talk of owning a winery someday...again, Ron asked if she wanted to quit her job and open a winery.

“I just wanted her to be happy.”

Now Ann was not unfamiliar with making wine; she was already doing it in their garage at home. (A fact I found especially impressive!) She had talked about it for years, but now they were done talking and ready to go forward. It took about 2 years to find the right property, and 6 years ago they left the Bay Area and started growing grapes for a living.

“Then the hard work began, but you got to believe it will work well.”

10 months ago they were officially open for business and selling wine. Their tastings cost $7 but if your friends want a truly unique experience, ask about reserving a tasting in their wine storage room. It costs more but it is worth it.

“We want to recreate how tastings are done in Italy.”

I was inspired to hear their story and recommend visiting their winery. Ann makes amazing fudge (and I don’t usually like fudge) which is served with their dessert wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment