Friday, September 24, 2010

Finding Purpose in the Pain



Mississippi Woman Determined to Slim Down Entire Town

How do you deal with pain, real pain, the kind of pain only known when a loved one is lost? Linda Fondren was by her sister's side as she lay dying from cancer. Mary looked at Linda and said "I wished I had lived my life more for myself." It wasn't the cancer, it was obesity that kept Mary Washington from enjoying life. Mary was 4' 11" and weighed 260 pounds.
Linda became a woman on a mission. She used that pain to start a crusade and 4 years later Linda is being recognized for her efforts. To date the community has lost 15,000 pounds! Way to go Linda!!

Pain is often why people get motivated to make a change. A wise friend once told me "When the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change, it is then that you will change."

I repeat that saying every day. Pain is an indicator that change is happening or needs to happen. When I lift weights and my muscles hurt, I know things are changing for the better. When I have pain zipping up my pants, then I know I need to get rid of my excuses and start exercising again.

No matter what pain you have in your life, be it emotional or physical, use it to motivate you. Help others or just yourself, either way you will benefit.

MOTIVATIONAL CHALLENGE: What pain are you experiencing in your life? Write down five potential changes you could make to alleviate that pain. Pick the one that speaks to you and commit to making that change for 7 days. That's it...just 7 days. After 7 days, ask yourself, do I still feel that pain? Life only gets better when the pain you feel motivates you to make a positive change. Let me know how it goes!

Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment