Thursday, December 16, 2010

Inspired By Flag Presentation Practice

Today, my husband and I were driving on post. We drove past a few soldiers gathered outside a building. I didn’t think much of it but my husband commented “that is so sad.”
I was instantly confused and asked “why do you say that?”
“They are practicing presenting the American flag for a funeral.”
The truck became quiet and we both retreated to our thoughts. I began to remember all the funerals I had attended and most recently my Grandfather’s. The presentation of the flag is an honorable experience, and it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
Just a few moments before we were talking about Christmas and gifts we still needed to buy. Somewhere, someone is grieving the loss of their loved one. I looked at my husband and silently said a prayer that the day never comes for me to accept his flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment