Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Inspired to Donate

What goes around comes around. It is a saying I know well but never before attributed to giving. I always thought of it as Karma or treat others as you wish to be treated. I have donated sporadically throughout my adult life. In my mind it was always easier just to donate than waste my Saturday trying to sell my stuff. Besides, I knew it went to help others and some years I was able to claim it on my annual income taxes. I never did it for the money as much as I did it for the convenience.
This year I decided it was time to start donating to a charity on a regular basis. Making a monthly charitable donation to the Joyce Meyer Ministries has been a very rewarding experience personally. I have never been one to give to a ministry, but they are doing some really great things both here and abroad to help those less fortunate. I decided to go ahead and commit to a specific amount each month.
Recently I have begun to notice some interesting things. I have a rule of not buying too much stuff for my son. He grows way too fast and I hate waste; I want to make sure everything he has gets used. I was all set on clothes until this last growth spurt. He grew out of his winter supply and I was faced with a child wearing 18 to 24 month clothes and he is only eight months old!
A few days later my friend called me and said she had some clothes for Ian that her neighbor gave her. They turned out to be just his size and for the winter months. I remarked later how coincidental it was that I received something just when I needed it. She laughed and explained how the universe brings back to you what you send out, “it’s the law!” Hmmm. Never thought of it like that.
I am not one to expect anything in return when giving to charity. I always thought the warm and fuzzy feeling inside was my gift for giving. I never did it with the intention of what I would receive in return, but it is a nice surprise. I wonder what more I could do??

1 comment:

  1. God provides all we need when we need it. It's amazing how He works in our lives. I love Joyce Meyer and have several of her books. She is very down to earth and says it like it is. I too get fuzzy feelings when I get to give to another. Also, you are doing a great job as a mother and wife. Seeing the happy faces of both of them in all the pics says it all. I've not seen Jason this happy in many years. I love your heart and you.

    ReplyDelete