Saturday, December 4, 2010

Inspired To Deviate From the Plan

My husband and I enjoy a wonderful relationship until we go on a road trip. I am fascinated by the side roads and small towns. Since we are on vacation, why not travel off the main highway and experience these unique treasures. Unfortunately, my husband does not feel the same way. He wants to drive straight from point A to point B. My suggestions are not greeted with great enthusiasm. Never mind the interesting places we have visited in the past, he only remembers the one time we ended up having to back track three hours due to road construction.
 While I can appreciate taking the road most traveled, I enjoy feeling the strong emotions, both positive and negative, that come with deviations from the plan. I have always held the belief that sometimes feeling the need to take that last minute detour could be a sign from God. Am I avoiding a crash or destined to help out a stranded motorist? One may never know for sure, but it never hurts to be open to the possibility.
I read this story about three teenage boys who “borrowed” a boat and found themselves stranded in the ocean for over 50 days. They survived on coconuts, rain water and a seagull that happened to land on their boat. The story gets better when it is revealed that the fishing boat that discovered them wasn’t even supposed to be going that way. According to Tai Fredricsen, first mate on the San Nikunau, “We generally don’t take this route and we were following the fastest line to New Zealand.”
The change in plans is now seen as a miracle by everyone involved.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AP0BJ20101126

1 comment: