Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 39 - Setting Time to Refocus

Refocus. I really don't enjoy that task, as it means I have lost my focus and deviated off course. Getting back on course is never easy. For the first time I missed a workout. The alarm didn't wake us up and we slept until 5:00. It was my upper body workout day and I knew I couldn't breeze through that. With Jason running late, I needed to iron his shirt and opted to stay in bed that 20 minutes instead of trying to fit in a workout. Excuses aside, I made that decision and savored every moment. Too many times we justify our actions then beat ourselves up about it. Why? If you decided to not do something you knew you needed to do, stop and enjoy the moment. Then when the moment is gone get back to doing it.

Everyone falls short at some time or another. For me this has been an especially difficult fact to accept.  My perfectionist part of me pushes me to the limits and beyond. While that is good sometimes, I think all the time isn't healthy. I used to get so upset and mad when I or someone else would fail to meet the standards I had set. Working with me was no picnic and I often alienated those around me. Having a baby really put me in my place. I had to accept my physical and mental limitations and work within those parameters. Before, I would set these super lofty goals and fall into a deep depression every time I missed the mark. How cares? Those around me thought even attempting it was a successful venture. Why couldn't I be happy with myself? I suffered from the worst kind of problem, attaching my self-esteem to my actions. If I didn't meet them, it meant I was less of a person. Maybe I am but if I am not happy with myself, no one else is going to be either.

I enjoyed the break. I knew it was impossible to fit in a workout and I didn't stress about it. When the alarm went off this morning, I got out of bed and had the best workout so far. Maybe I needed that break, maybe my body was trying to signal TIME OUT. Either way, I didn't throw it all out the window. I stayed true to my eating and started refreshing my workouts...they have become stale!

Yesterday I made another Carey Concoction. Yummy Asian Broccoli Stir Fry.

2 cups cooked rice (follow directions on rice package)

1 lb pork loin, sliced thinly

Marinate in:

1 TBLS ginger, minced or finely shredded

4 - 5 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tsp dark Sesame Oil

2 TBLS Soy Sauce

2 TBLS Rice Vinegar

¼ tsp red pepper flakes

¼ tsp ground pepper

1/8 tsp salt.

Zest of one orange and add juice of ½ the orange (I froze the remaining juice to use another time)

I marinated for about 30 minutes, you could go longer.

Chop up:

½ red bell pepper

½ shallot (green onions are preferred but I was out)

Heat up heavy pan over medium heat. Add 1 TBLS peanut oil and sauté the chopped vegetables above. When translucent, add the pork in the marinade. While heating through, bring a few cups of water to a boil in another pan. When boiling add 1 head of broccoli chopped up and cook for 2 minutes. Remove broccoli and run over cold water. This stops the cooking process and keeps the broccoli green and crisp. When pork is cooked through, add the broccoli. Serve ½ cup over ¼ cup rice. Very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment