Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 11 - The Road Gets Easier

Motivational Quote: I'm trying to do the best I can. I'm not concerned about tomorrow but with what goes on today. ~Mark Spitz
I don't know if you have noticed, but I haven't been talking so much about the upcoming cheat day. I think I still will enjoy it, but not so much off the deep end. I thought of that this morning while I was doing my workout. I realized it was already  Thursday and I needed to think about what to cook this weekend. Then it occurred to me that I didn't even really miss eating like a pig. Sure there are things that I miss, like cheese and butter, but overall we had already been eating pretty healthy. Making this adjustment to smaller frequent meals wasn't that bad. Well, I say that now! Ha ha. We all know I was struggling last week.
I was listening to a radio program yesterday and they talked about being happy and what it takes to be happy. In order to be truly happy, you have to forgo today's wants for tomorrow's treasure. Interesting. I felt that happiness last Sunday morning. I imagine if I had cheated during the week, having that breakfast wouldn't have felt as satisfying. Having sugar, fat and salt is addictive but mix it with blood, sweat and tears of the week before and you have something amazing! The thought of cheating doesn't even enter my mind anymore. I don't lust after that cheesecake or dread eating dinner, it is what it is.
In our society now, we hardly put off for tomorrow what we can enjoy today. That is why we have credit card debt right? Why wait till we have the money, I can charge it and start enjoying it today. I can still remember lay-away! Maybe that is why diets don't work in the long run. People get tired of putting off their desires because down deep they don't even believe they can ever achieve their ideal weight.
This morning I didn't lay in bed as long and was able to make it out to the garage and start my workout at 5:46. Today was the upper body workout. I am starting to push myself and I exhausted my arms today. Remember what I was preaching about a few days ago about keeping your form? Well, I failed. Jason caught me and I didn't even realize it. My arms were done but I wanted to finish the set too bad. I was doing my raises using 5 lbs and I was shrugging my shoulders to get the weight up. That is really bad form and could cause me to injure myself. I guess that is what I get for not listening to my body. When working out it is easy to get into a zone. Focus on the muscle group you are working. If you feel any other part of you working, stop and correct it immediately. This was a great lesson for me today. My workout consisted of:
CHEST: Chest Press for first five, Incline Pushups for last one. (Pushed it hard today)
SHOULDERS: Seated Press first four, exhausted my arms and switched from the bar to dumbbells for lighter weight last of the five, side raises last one. (Here is where I had bad form)
BACK: Wide Grip Pulldown first five, Rear Pulldown last one.
TRICEPS: Pushdowns first five, Bench dip last one.
BICEPS: Curls first five, Reverse Curls last one.
Breakfast at 6:20 consisted of Western Omelet for Jason and Eggs and Toast for me. I savor my one cup of black coffee and chug my two glasses of water.
Snack at 9:30 was cottage cheese and strawberries.
Lunch at 11:30 was left over spaghetti and meatballs
Missed my afternoon snack....:(
Dinner was at 5:00 - Salmon, green beans and toast.
I was at the farmers market today and picked up some fresh salmon (frozen) from Alaska.
Salmon: Heat pan until it spatters water when put on it. (med-high heat). Sprinkled a mixture of cumin, coriander and pepper (About ½ tsp each) over top. I placed skin side down first, cooked for three minutes, flipped and cooked three more minutes. Perfect. I squeezed half a lemon over it.
Green Beans:
¼ onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 Tbls vegetable stock
2 Tbls Red Wine Vinegar
1 lb green beans
Sprayed pan with oil, sautéed onion until translucent, added garlic and cooked for about one minute then added the stock. I added vinegar and green beans and cooked for about 5 minutes. I shut off of the heat and covered the pan and let sit for 5 minutes. Perfectly cooked!
We toasted some bread and wha lah..dinner was served.
Evening snack is in about 30 minutes and we are having strawberry chocolate protein shakes.
The three things I did well today:
1.      Exercised;
2.      Ate my regimen; and
3.      Posted on my blog.
The one thing I am doing better tomorrow:
1.      NOT MISSING MY DARN SNACK! What a disappointment, I was doing so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment