Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 6 - Using Everything I Got

All day today, I felt like I do during the last 5 minutes of my cardio routine. Seriously, I needed to chant my way through it! "Come on Carey, you can do it!" Last night I wanted so bad to stop preplanning and just go to bed. I was exhausted. There was so much to do this morning I knew I needed to be super organized to get it done. Thankfully I reviewed my routine in our home gym as I found it difficult to change out one of the pieces of equipment. Love my husband, he has very strong hands, but I don't. I had to get him to loosed up the c-clip from the lower pulley. Since I worked out before he got up this morning, I would have had to either wake him up, move onto another exercise or worse, quit.
I made it to bed after 10 and the alarm went off at 5:00 am. I failed this morning. It took me 15 minutes to get out of bed. I finally made it out to the garage when I son woke up. The sun is rising earlier now and he is thinking it is time to get up. I gave him a bottle and changed his diaper and prayed he would stay down for another 30 minutes. My workout was to be 43 minutes but I used the first 15 on my son. I didn't have time to achieve my goal of 1 minute in between sets. I gave myself maybe 15 seconds. I noticed I fatigued much faster than I had earlier in the week.
Upper Body Workout:
CHEST: Bench Press first five, Push Up last one;
SHOULDERS: Side Raises first five, Front Raises last one;
BACK: Lat Pulldown first five, Back Lat Pulldown last one;
TRICEPS: Tricep Pushdown first five, Tricep Kickback last one; and
BICEPS: Lower Pulley Pullup first five, Close Grip Pullup last one.
I was able to finish when planned (46 minutes from original start time) but I was pushing it. After that feat was completed, I felt empowered to finish the rest of my morning.
7:30 breakfast of a western omelet. I was running late for my photo shoot this morning and left without grabbing a protein bar for my snack. When my husband met up with me at 11:00, he brought it with him. So, I ate it kind of late. I was really proud of myself because there were donuts, coffee, juice and fruit cups at the photographers house. His wife is so sweet and I felt I hurt her feelings that I didn't enjoy any of her goodies. I explained our diet and she understood. I was dressed in a black floor length dress at one point and I could really tell where I store my fat. While most of me is thin, I carry my weight in my upper arms and legs. It really motivated me to keep on track with our program. By the time I left, I was happy I didn't cheat.
We made it home in time for lunch. I had about 15 minutes before noon and we all were hungry. Again, I really didn't have things planned out that well and I was running low on roasted potatoes. If I used them for lunch, I wouldn't have any for breakfast on Monday. So, I decided to go with another Carey Concoction. I call it:
Summer Pork
4 cooked pork chops with Chicago Steak Seasoning, chopped up
½ roasted onion, chopped
¼ roasted bell pepper, chopped
1 roasted green chili, chopped
2 roasted garlic cloves, chopped
1 roasted tomato, chopped
1 cup vegetable stock
½ lemon zest and juice
2 cups cold rice
10 stalks asparagus, chopped
Salt and Pepper
I heated up my skillet and sprayed it with some oil (a light coat). Using medium heat, I added the pork chops, onion, bell pepper, chili, garlic, tomato and allowed to cook for a minute or two. Then I added the stock, lemon juice, the cold rice and the asparagus. I lighted seasoned it with salt and pepper and allowed it to cook for about 5 minutes, until it was heated through. We both enjoyed it.
At 2:30 we enjoyed our mid afternoon snack of half a protein bar.
At 3:00, I started getting ready for dinner.
Roasted Chicken
Heat oven to 350.
Use a 3 - 4 lb fryer chicken and wash with water thoroughly
You should pat it dry, but I always forget.
Combine seasonings:
            1 tsp salt, marjoram, thyme and ½ tsp rosemary and cumin. Blend together
Create space between chicken meat and skin with your hands. Apply generously the spice blend to any area you can reach.
½ onion halved. Take off the first couple of layers and place it under the skin where the spices are. Place the rest of the onion inside the bird cavity.
4 garlic cloves. Place them under the skin. You can chop or leave whole.
1 lemon, quartered. Using two quarters, squeeze lemon juice under skin then place the lemon in the cavity. Place the remaining two unsqueezed quarters in the cavity too. My bird was 3.85 pounds and it took 1 hour 45 minutes to cook. I used a thermometer to tell me when it was done, I don't trust those time estimates you find on the internet.
So today I tried to make roti, a type of flat bread from India. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1274477/roti_chapati_flat_indian_bread_recipe_by_manjula_jain/
This has been the best recipe I have found so far but it is ½ cup flour, pinch of salt, ¼ cup water and some oil. That makes four. I realized today my rolling pin is too heavy, it is made of marble. I need to get a wood one without handles. I determined if you squash the dough, it can't puff up. These are awesome, a friend of mine makes them.
So for dinner we had some shredded roasted chicken on a roti with salsa. We each had 2 rotis.
I really can't tell how happy I am that I get to eat whatever I want tomorrow! I already went shopping! I have all this wonderful stuff for us to eat. So stay tuned tomorrow and read all about it.
Right now I am enjoying my final snack of cottage cheese and strawberries. Not going to lie, I wish it was a beer.
The three things I did really well today:
1.      Exercised;
2.      Stuck to my regimen; and
3.      Planned ahead.
The one thing I am doing better tomorrow:
1.      I am eating till I pop!
So this week I started out weighing 135 and right now I am 131.4. Not bad! Jason has lost 9 pounds this week. Now, we don't know how much weight we are going to gain tomorrow, so we decided to weigh in on Saturdays so we don't get discouraged. By the time next Saturday comes around, I imagine we will have worked off the excess. So, I am happy to know I don't have to plan out my exercise routine or my eating regimen. It is a night off, how sweet it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment