Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 25 - Beating the Cheat Gremlin

The cheat gremlin has been whispering in my ear all day. Compounding the problem is I have been super hungry today - for real food this time. This morning I stared into the pantry for at least 20 minutes before finally having the ability to close the door. I really wanted some bad food today, come crackers or nuts…something! I kept hearing the gremlin urge me to cheat with those wicked words “but you have been doing so good and look at your arms…you are just about perfect, why try for more?” I am nearly lulled into a belief that I don’t need this life change and I am perfectly happy with the way I look.
Then I go clothes shopping. I suggest anytime the gremlin speaks to you, go try on some revealing outfits that accentuate your flaws. Yes, either evening dresses or swimsuits, they both highlight your problem areas. I have been hearing a lot from people that I am just right, why am I trying to be skinnier? It isn’t that I think I am fat, I don’t. It is I am tired of looking in the mirror and hating what looks back at me. I see the saggy skin, the flabby arms and the cellulite packed legs. I want what I see possible and I know I can achieve it. As I put the dress on hanger I no longer felt the desire to cheat. It had been replaced by a need to work out; harder than ever before!
I feel I have a lot more energy today. I completed my Upper Body Workout this morning at 5:50. It never fails when I start late, I always end later. The workout took about 55 minutes to complete, leaving me 15 minutes late for my day. Grrr.
Today I lifted more weights than I have in a very long time. I had to fully concentrate when the weights increased as I wanted to not exert the effort. I found my brain was telling me, that is too much weight we can’t possibly lift that. This is even before I had even started! I told myself, just try and if it is too much we will go down. No big deal.  Shifting those thoughts aside, I began my workout:
CHEST: Chest Press first five; Push Up last one.
SHOULDERS: Seated Dumbbell Press first five, Side Raises last one.
BACK: Wide-Grip Pulldown first five, Reverse Grip Pulldown last one.
TRICEPS: Close-Grip Pulldown first five, Tricep Extensions last one.
BICEPS: Seated Dumbbell Curls first five, Hammer Curls last one.
It is time to refresh this workout too. My shoulders are looking awesome!
For breakfast we had coffee, eggs and chilies and salsa with left over flat bread from last night. Another failed attempt at my roti. L It is just going to take practice!
Morning snack was ½ banana and protein powder.
Lunch was left over dinner. I was too tired to explain it last night but I had the most amazing meat - emu meat. It is 97% fat free and it smells so good going into the pan. Normally I am not a fan of ground anything going into the pan, it smells funny. Not this stuff, it smelled delicious! It is another Carey Concoction:
Emu Mexican Chili
1 lb ground emu meat
1 chopped green bell pepper
½ onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 20 oz can plum tomatoes
5 roasted chilies, chopped
15 oz can or 2 cups cooked black beans
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano, crushed
In a large heavy pan over medium heat, cook the emu meat and the onions and bell pepper until meat is barely done and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a short time. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until flavors blend. Serve with flat bread.
This was really good. I topped it with some salsa and Tabasco. Yummy.
Since I was out of the flat bread after breakfast, I improvised and ate it with two wasi crackers. They are whole grain and taste horrible by themselves. Add toppings and they come alive in flavor!
I missed my evening snack and ate nearly the same thing for dinner but I opted for blue corn tortilla chips instead. I figured since I hadn’t really used my oil, it wouldn’t hurt things if we had some chips. They are blue corn and we had 12 chips (a serving size per the container). It was delicious.
For my evening snack I had a small apple and a boiled egg.
The three things I did well today:
1.      I resisted the temptation to cheat;
2.      My workout stretched the limits of my mind and body;
3.      I drank my 10 glasses.
The one thing I am doing better tomorrow:
1.      Getting started on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment