Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 7 - Cheat Day Has ARRIVED!

Okay, if you didn't guess it by now, we were really, I mean really looking forward to cheat day. It isn't that our diet is super restricting, it is the mere fact that you can't have those food items we have grown to love. This morning Ian woke up at 3:45, his diaper had literally exploded. (We have officially graduated to the next size) I cleaned him up as best I could and it took about 45 minutes to get him back to sleep. I didn't see the point in going back to bed as my alarm was set for 5:00 am. Since I was up so early, I made some instant coffee with creamer...yumm...heaven. I miss my multiple cups of coffee filled with cream. Then I completed some writing before starting breakfast. Decisions, decisions..what to eat today?! I chose an apple coffee cake: http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/ponderosa_wv_recipe1.html
I then cooked almost an entire pound of bacon. Now, I love oven roasted bacon, not only is it easy to cook but it is delicious. The bacon was super thick (and maple cured..yum). I put as much bacon as I could fit on top of my wire cooling rack over a cookie sheet. I baked it for about 45 minutes alongside the coffee cake. I then made our usual pot of coffee, fried some eggs and heated up the last of the pancakes I made for Ian this week.
Oh my word, this was the best breakfast I have had in a long time. The sugar and the fat danced across my taste buds and most likely sent my pancreas into overdrive. I was in an almost euphoric state as I savored every last morsel. Jason and I concluded that this meal was probably average, but because we have been abstaining, it tastes amazing! Needless to say we ate like kings. Jason and I finished off the bacon, ¾ of the coffee cake, all the pancakes and our eggs. I was surprised at how satisfied I felt. I thought I would feel bloated and too full, not the case. Off to church I go for choir practice.
So I get home from practice and have to use the restroom. I drink some water and about an hour later, I have to use the restroom again. Hmmm. A little later we leave for mass and afterwards we have a buffet dinner to go to.
Have you ever not eaten for a while and then when you see food it looks incredible? Well, that is exactly what we experienced at our German lunch buffet. I loaded up my plate with sauerkraut, brats, schnitzel and lots of other wonderful unpronounceable dishes. We left about an hour after we finished eating. We got home and I had to use the restroom again. I then realized why this diet works. You abstain from fats and sugar long enough for your body to reject it when it does enter. If I were to continue on my binge, my body would most likely get used to it and the diarrhea would stop. Since I am returning to my diet tomorrow, it will probably clear up.
That is okay, we have one more meal to go... PIZZA! I make my dough and sauce from scratch: Dough: http://southernfood.about.com/od/yeastbreads/r/r90430rev.htm
Instead of my usual 8 oz package of mozzarella cheese, I went for the two pound package. This was great as it meant a very cheesy pizza. I finished cooking the last couple of slices of bacon and crumbled it on top of the pizza. I added chopped green bell peppers, onions, pepperoni and covered it with this huge mound of cheese. I swear, this was the best looking pizza I have ever made.
I finished my first slice and I am halfway through my second and I am done. It doesn't even look appealing anymore. It is like my body is satisfied and saying "thanks but you can put that away." WHAT??!! You have to know me to really be shocked by this. I can eat an entire large pizza if I let myself. Why do I feel full? Why am I done? I can eat anything I want today! WHY DO I NOT WANT ANYTHING!!! I don't know, but I am sure this is part of the reason why this diet works, you just train you body to not want that crap anymore. Nice...I guess....
So there you have it folks: the good, the bad and the ugly! We are ready for cardio tomorrow. I am off to preplan for tomorrow's breakfast. Honestly, I am kind of looking forward to eating my new normal again. One week down, 11 more to go!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little late in reading this. It is VERY inspiring, as I'm just starting a more structured exercise routine! And your 'concoctions' sound delicious - an amazing kitchen ability that I have yet to pick up.

    Before we moved, we used to have pizza buffet every Sunday after church. Since they don't have those here, we got used to having a smaller Sunday lunch, so now when we go back to visit my in-laws, we can't eat like we used to. Not complaining!! So I completely understand about WANTING to eat and yet not being able to - I believe this is a GOOD problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather! I am very happy to read your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete