Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 21 - Sick of Cheat Day

Okay, don't get me wrong, I love my cheat day....until evening. Tonight it is hitting me especially hard. I am feeling a little sick and I can tell my body is not enjoying having to process what I ate today. Funny, we only ate two meals.
Yesterday was Easter Vigil and I made a Hungarian twist bread for my basket, it turned out beautiful. I had the bright idea of making this cream cheese custard french toast thing using the bread. It didn't turn out as planned. I made the mistake of adding milk to my cream cheese before I had whipped it and it turned out lumpy. I dumped it on the bread anyway but I wasn't as happy with the dish as I had thought I would be so I am not sharing the recipe because I think it was poorly written.
This morning we ate some turkey bacon, the bread stuff and had a couple cups of coffee. For lunch I munched on some chips and salsa (highly recommend this salsa, it tastes amazing!), made a ham (used the glaze provided that came with the spiral cut ham I bought at the store), with ham gravy, some fresh green beans (sautéed in pan with onions, some balsamic vinegar and a few splashes of red wine), rolls and pecan pie (I added ½ cup chocolate chips to the pie). Jason and I shared a bottle of Pinot Noir. I whipped up some cream for topping on the pie. I had another cup of coffee. That was at 2:30 pm. It was 6:00 pm and I started not feeling so well. I was lethargic, had a mild headache and felt a little sick to my stomach. Then by 7:30 pm I was feeling better so we had some leftover gelato ice cream from last week. Not going to lie, if we didn't have it in the freezer, I wouldn't have thought to eat it. I wish I hadn't. Shortly after I ate it my body immediately felt ill again. I had to lay down. It took about 30 minutes but I began to feel well enough to get up and start writing this blog.
As I was laying there trying to recover, Jason and I began to talk about how we need to scale down our cheat days. Neither one of us want to eat as much anymore. We are thinking of eating a few things we can't have but overall, we need to stop eating as much crap. Jason made it through giving up soda for Lent. He now feels like he doesn't even want a soda. Today Jason began to see real definition in his abdominal area and his shirts are fitting bigger now. He is very excited about the changes he is seeing. We now have zero desire to eat fast food.
My success journal yesterday talked about how few people make it to this point in the program. Funny, I don't even remember reading this page before. Bill Phillips said that it is either attributed to unrealistic goals or a lack of commitment. I think the goals are always realistic, I think people are unprepared for the commitment part. Jason laughs and remarks on how he knows I didn't think he would make it this far, and he is right. I didn't. I thought it would be like all the other times and he would be falling by the wayside and I would be stuck finishing this out all by myself. I am super proud to say that he is standing strong and it shows! I also think most of our success is the commitment we made to each other. Together we can do anything if we work as a team. Also, it is fun to have someone there with you to experience the ups and downs with you.
So while cheat day has been an event to look forward to, we have decided to step it down a notch or two. Maybe that is a part of progressing in the program, a kind of maturing in our new healthy lifestyle. Yes, we can eat whatever we want, we are choosing not to. It is a wonderful feeling to be in control of our emotions and cravings.
Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment